our mission is clear.
We strive to create a regulatory environment that maximizes flexibility and allows senior living providers to offer a variety of quality care options and choices to consumers. Regulations should recognize and promote operational excellence in communities throughout the state. We represent our members’ interests at the local, state and federal levels.
- In 2017, we worked to pass legislation that would give the state more tools to crack down on unlicensed assisted living facilities and filed a challenge to burdensome assisted living rules that ultimately resulted in the rules being withdrawn.
- In 2016, we passed state legislation to update a decades’ old fire and life safety code in statute, allowing communities to choose to use newer codes.
- In 2015 and 2016, we worked to update regulations to ensure state agencies do not impose burdensome costs on providers or exceed their jurisdiction when interpreting new laws.
- In 2015, we passed state legislation that brought significant reforms to assisted living communities, including more services for unlicensed staff to assist with self-administration of medications and the ability for nurses in LNS communities to practice to their full scope, among other improvements.
- In 2014, we increased state funding for Medicaid Assistive Care Services by $5 million.
- In 2013 and 2014, we prevented legislation that would have hit the profession with costly registration fees and fines.
Looking for information about Florida’s regulatory structure for senior living communities? Click here.